Take an instant trip to the heart of Tuscany with this Traditional Italian sweet, by Gabriele Taddeucci.
Light and crispy rice fritters that are gluten free and decadent.
A Taddeucci family favourite revamped to share more gluten free love <3
- 200ml milk of your choice
- 100ml water
- 80g rice (Arborio recommended)
- 80g fine sugar or stevia
- 80g GF cornflour
- 40g raisins (soaked and drained)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 lemon zest (large pieces)
- 1 orange zest (large pieces)
- 1 tsp GF baking powder
- Oil for frying
- Combine the water and the milk in a small pot, add the rice and the citrus zest and bring up to boil on a low heat. Stir regularly, cooking the rice until the liquid is completely absorbed (approx 12-15 min). Let it cool.
- Remove the citrus zest, add the egg, the sugar, the raisin and as last the cornflour. Mix all the ingreduients well until smooth.
- In the meantime heat up some vegetable oil in a large pan.
- When the oil is hot (about 160 C degrees), pour one tbs of mixture at the time into the pan, leaving some space in between as the fritters will start to increase in volume. Let it cook for about 2-3 minutes until the edge is colouring. Flip them onto the other side and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Lift the fritters from the pan and let them rest for a minute on a tray with absorbent paper. Roll them in some sugar (or sugar and cinnamon) and serve them hot.
Read more about Gabriele's journey as a coeliac executive chef managing a Fine-dining kitchen at the Star Sydney.
Follow Gabriele's adventures via Instagram at #thetuscanboy