Gabriele's Sweet Rice Fritters
Take an instant trip to the heart of Tuscany with this Traditional Italian sweet, by Gabriele Taddeucci.
Light and crispy rice fritters that are gluten free and decadent.
A Taddeucci family favourite revamped to share more gluten free love <3
- 200ml milk of your choice
- 100ml water
- 80g rice (Arborio recommended)
- 80g fine sugar or stevia
- 80g GF cornflour
- 40g raisins (soaked and drained)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 lemon zest (large pieces)
- 1 orange zest (large pieces)
- 1 tsp GF baking powder
- Oil for frying
- Combine the water and the milk in a small pot, add the rice and the citrus zest and bring up to boil on a low heat. Stir regularly, cooking the rice until the liquid is completely absorbed (approx 12-15 min). Let it cool.
- Remove the citrus zest, add the egg, the sugar, the raisin and as last the cornflour. Mix all the ingreduients well until smooth.
- In the meantime heat up some vegetable oil in a large pan.
- When the oil is hot (about 160 C degrees), pour one tbs of mixture at the time into the pan, leaving some space in between as the fritters will start to increase in volume. Let it cook for about 2-3 minutes until the edge is colouring. Flip them onto the other side and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Lift the fritters from the pan and let them rest for a minute on a tray with absorbent paper. Roll them in some sugar (or sugar and cinnamon) and serve them hot.
Read more about Gabriele's journey as a coeliac executive chef managing a Fine-dining kitchen at the Star Sydney.
Follow Gabriele's adventures via Instagram at #thetuscanboy